Here are some of my favourite books about farmed animals and factory farming. Feel free to look them up on Amazon for publishers’ descriptions and reviews (I’m not suggesting you buy from Amazon…buy wherever you like, maybe even from an independent bookseller!). I’ll update this periodically.
- Farm Sanctuary by Gene Baur
- Animal Camp by Kathy Stevens
- The Emotional Lives of Animals by Marc Bekoff
- The Inner World of Farm Animals by Amy Hatkoff (foreward by Jane Goodall)
- Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer — this book may change your life
- Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz — not an easy read, but really eye-opening
- Bleating Hearts by Mark Hawthorne. Eye-opening even for the initiated. Incredibly well researched and written. Doesn’t pertain strictly to farmed animals, but they’re in there — as is nearly every other animal you can think of.